- In 2005, Mike Upton, the founder of the Petaluma-based company Kala Brand Music, sensed the start of something great.
- Upton left Hohner that year after the company moved and borrowed $70,000 from his father to create Kala Brand Music, which specializes in producing and selling ukuleles.
- He’s spent the past 11 years developing the perfect ukulele as the company continues to expand.
- In 2015, Kala Brand Music saw more than $20 million in sales, with an estimated 500,000 musical instruments sold across the globe, he said.
- The company grew 11 percent last year, with an expected 25 percent growth in 2016, he said.